MBA YOUTH SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION
- To educate youth in the art of beekeeping.
- To promote a better understanding of the value of honey bees to our environment and to the food chain.
- To provide an opportunity for youth to experience responsibility and enjoyment through beekeeping.
- A one year family membership in the Metro Beekeepers Association.
- A beginning beekeeper course and course book.
- A set of wooden-ware for a beehive.
- A nuc or package of bees for the hive.
- Beekeeping gear: hat, veil, gloves, hive tool, bee brush, and bee smoker.
- Mentoring by an MBA member.
- Be between the ages of 12 and 18 by January 1, of scholarship year.
- Be currently enrolled in public, private, or home school.
- Have permission and agreement from parent or guardian, & a legal location to place the hive close to where you live.
- Not have any bee colonies in the immediate family.
- Live close enough to attend monthly MBA classes & meetings, & to be a reasonable distance for a mentor.
- Submit the application by October 1st of the year prior to the scholarship award.
- Note: Two applicants from the same family may both receive beekeeping equipment, but will only receive 1 nuc (colony) of bees. An additional nuc may be purchased at a reduced cost.
- The MBA Youth Scholarship Committee will interview finalists and their parent/guardian in November.
- Students will be selected by the MBA Youth Scholarship Committee.
- Recipients will be notified by the first week of December. Scholarships will be presented at the MBA December meeting.